Monday, May 4, 2009

Transition

Sleeping is ________. I think everyone has a different word they could fill in the blank here. For me sleeping has been "rare" (not due to children, rather my brain's inability to shut down at night). For others, "necessary" might be the right word choice. Last night, "non-existent" would we the word I would have used to describe sleeping!

In December Jeremy and I decided to purchase a new bed for Jack as he would need to transition into it from the crib once our new baby came. The bed was delivered in early January. As my size increased, a new range of symphonic sounds began coming from my nose... this new bed (a full size) became very inviting to Jeremy. Before long it was his new home at night.

We welcomed Mitch just seven weeks ago. He began sleeping in the baby cradle next to our bed. Before long it became apparent that Mitch loved being near mommy. He insisted (through various baby ways) that he sleep next to mommy in her bed. Each night he would inch his way in my direction and before I knew it his long and slender arm was holding tight to my own arm. Yes, we were co-sleepers. (I know this is so against everything American's would say is right...but I have dearly loved this time.)

Jack has done such a great job over the years sleeping in his crib. 8pm to 8am since he was only a few months old. Perfection! :) Knowing that Jack is a busy boy I was not sure I wanted to test him being free from this "cage" we call a crib. The problem in this is that he has become so big that he no longer fits in his crib well. He actually kicked out one of the crib slats a few nights ago. A sure sign that he is ready for his big boy bed.

All this time I have been enjoying my own bed, my boys have all been displaced. It was high time to make a full transition for all of us. The first night of the transition was last night. It was highly amusing.

Jack was tucked into his big boy bed. After many stories, songs, drinks of water, prayers and kisses the lights were out and the door was shut.

I nursed Mitch one last time. Jeremy set him in his cradle in his new room. Lights out, door closed.

Jeremy came to bed - in his real bed!

Mitch fussed.

Jeremy got up to put the pacifier in Mitch's mouth.

Jeremy back to bed, this time with ear plugs.

Mitch cries. I lay still. "He needs to cry it out," I say.

Five minutes later, as the crying continues...I get up and nurse him again. This time from the rocking chair in his room. He is sleeping, back in the cradle.

I head back to bed. Jeremy asks, "Do you mind if I sleep on the couch?" No problem. I completely understand!!!

One hour of sleep. Mitch wakes. I nurse him and he is back to bed.

Mitch fusses. I put in the pacifier. I head back to bed. I pray, "Lord, please allow me to get a little bit of sleep!"

Mitch is sound asleep. I am sound asleep.

THUD. Crying.

Jack has fallen out of his new bed. I rush to his room to find him laying on the floor in tears. Jeremy rushes upstairs to find out what has happened.

We discuss if he should go back in the crib or in the bed as we comfort Jack. It is decided that we will not disturb Mitch, so back into bed for Jack. I ask him how he got on the floor. I ask if he rolled out of bed or if he was trying to get down. He told me he was trying to get down. We decide to read some stories. Jack tells me that he wants to go outside and play. I tell him that we can play outside when the sun comes out.

Mitch cries.

I leave Jack with some books to read in bed, nurse Mitch, put Mitch back down to bed, then head back to tuck Jack in one last time.

All are sleeping.

Mitch wakes for another feeding. Done, sleeping again.

THUD. Crying.

Yes, Jack fell out of his bed again!!! This time I rush in and find him wedged between the bed and his night table. He tells me he rolled out. We both laugh. This time I decided that we would try him sleeping with me. He decides that he wants to be inquisitive. He asked a lot of really great questions. Questions that I would loved to have answered, but it was four in the morning. After about a half hour of questions it was back to his bed for him.

All sleeping. (except at some point Jeremy did wake up to get ready for work)

Mitch wakes at 7am for his normal feeding. This time I take him into bed with me. He nurses and we all sleep in until 9:30!! When I went in to get Jack we cheered because he didn't roll out!!

Tonight is night two of the transition. We will see how it goes. We have two changes to the plan tonight: Jeremy is in our bed again and Jack now has a bed rail. :)

3 comments:

Chris said...

Sleeping is inevitable. That's the way God made us...you just have to have sleep. Your boys will figure that out when they become teenagers :-) then you'll want them to get up... isn't life funny?

Dyer Importance... said...

Update: Last night went really well. Jack slept through the night and did not roll out of bed. Mitch slept well and woke every three hours for feedings as usual. There was one hour where he couldn't get settled, so I was up every fifteen minutes - but that was only one hour. Jeremy made it through the night in our bed too.

Oh, and by the way - the reason we didn't have a bed rail up for Jack prior to the first transition night was because he has been napping in that bed for two weeks and hadn't had a problem yet! :)

Chris said...

I'm so glad the next night went better Marlene. You are a great mom!