Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Color...

I am the first to admit that most of my cleaver ideas for fun things to do with my kids come from Family Fun Magazine, blogs, curriculum's, or other mommies who more than amazing!  I did have ONE original idea recently...and I thought I would share it with anyone who wanted to give it a go.  It originated when I was working on my Three's Sunday School lesson, "God Made Color."  We used it that Sunday and it was a success, so I tried it at home with my kids.  

Sometimes it is warm outside, but not quite hot enough to fully submerge ones self in a kiddie pool that has just been filled with FREEZING cold hose water.  Other days, like today - the humidity is so thick that your camera lens fogs up!  Any day you choose, this is a fun wet and colorful activity for the kiddos.

I started by taking out all of those oversize snack containers that I held on to.  I dropped one colored bath fizzy into each container and let the boys fill them to the top with pool water.  Without my prompting, they were excited to see which color would appear as the water was added.



These are my favorite tub colors.  They are under $5 at Target and you get 100 tablets per container.  They are much cheaper than the crayola ones, and you get the same affect.  I imagine you could just use regular food coloring too, but I have yet to try that.  The tablets are so easy and go a long way.  There are three colors in each container.



I use the primary colors in our water buckets and ask the boys to mix me up concoctions of various colors!  I provide them with various small containers, droppers, turkey basters, and squirt bottles - and they go to town!  We have had HOURS of fun and entertainment...literally - HOURS, which is a huge accomplishment in our home! 




 As the main color buckets begin to empty - I just remind the kids to add another bucket full of water.

There are two challenges with this activity: 
1) Mommy does not like to get wet and the boys like to pour their creations on her and 
2) You have to try to keep the kids from dumping out the three main buckets.  


 

These are some of the "medicines" my little doctors cooked up for me.

  
I hope you get a chance to try this activity with your little ones...It is a great way to get a little wet, learn about primary colors and color mixing, do some fun science, and enjoy the beauty of all the unique colors God created!  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Fun! I've never heard of those bath tablets. I'll definitely be trying them. Something I did when student teaching 1st grade was color white frosting with food color. Use the three primary colors and let each child choose which two they want in their frosting. Then have them stir it up and see what secondary color appears.