Thursday, June 23, 2011

Monkey Nose...

Jack had three cavities. 
I am embarrassed to admit that.  Really I am. 
We brush his teeth twice a day, limit juice, etc...but nonetheless - three.

As we prepared to go to the dentist, we read the Little Critter book, Just Going to the Dentist.
I love Little Critter books, but this one is NOT a good choice for kids going to get a cavity filled.  Hindsight...

I also thought that if I brought a million distraction items, it would help him transition to the drill better.

Jack, want to watch a movie?
How about a dinosaur?


Would you cooperate if we gave you some floss???


I love floss, mom...but I won't comply.  


Ok, fine...I will try on the "Monkey Nose," but only so that you can snap a picture of me to send to dad - and really it is ONLY because you just promised me that we could go right to Target to get a skateboard.


This does smell like bubble gum.  
And these sunglasses are pretty neat too.


Finally the nitrous oxide took affect.
Does anyone know if they sell this at Target???
Jack became quite engaged in conversation with Dr. Greg...and then told me:
"Mom, I love going to the dentist..."


Finally (after 45 minutes of coercing and a 15 minute procedure) one side of the mouth fixed - 
one cavity filled and sealants of the rest of his molars.


It turns out that all of the distractions I planned just made the process longer and him even more apprehensive.  The book was awful.  It made him fearful of a shot and a drill.  He thought that our dentist was going to harm him and not bring him good.  I should have just left it in the hands of the experts. 

This was apparent at our second visit - for the other side of the mouth.  Jack was completely non-compliant.  He was truly scared and I was truly frustrated.  It was an appointment we had to reschedule.

 For the re-scheduled appointment - I tried a new approach. 
1. I talked with Jack about his fears...a drill, Dr. Greg, the monkey nose
2. I explained to him what would happen at the appointment and our expectations for his behavior
3. We talked about how Dr. Greg was really nice and he would not hurt him.  He was there to help.
4. We reviewed the rewards for a successful appointment and the consequences for disobedience.
(roller blades/clean teeth/good day vs. decay in mouth/no treats until it was fixed)
5. I left the procedure to the experts.  They did all the coercing and I sat back and watch!
SUCCESS

We see a pediatric dentist - and they truly know just how to work with kids.  Dr. Greg walked Jack through the whole procedure.  He told him all about the tools he was using (like his tooth tickler, flashlight, sweeper, Mr. Thirsty, etc.) and never caused him any pain.  He was kind and patient.  In all of this I learned that I just need to let the expert do their job and to better prepare my child.  

At least this has all been memorable...

No comments: