Thursday, June 9, 2011

Charging...

From the point where life begins, a child is connected to his mother, physically and emotionally. 

There is something about this connection that brings comfort, reassurance, connection.

My boys still need this connection - sort of like a phone charging.  From the first snuggle of the morning to the last hug and kiss at night.  Every once in a while though, that just isn't enough.

Last night both of my boys needed a re-charge while they slept.  First it was Mitch.  He was fussing, so I went in to comfort him and rest with him in his new big boy bed.  He was restless and whiny until I put my arm underneath him.  Sudden calmness.  He began to soothe and fall asleep.  As sweet as that was, my arm began to fall asleep too.  As I gently removed my arm and rolled over the other way, fussing began again - until I placed my hand on the small of my back.  Again, calmness, sleep. 

I somehow made it back into my bed only to be greeted by Jack.  He was eager to go outside to ride his four-wheeler...although it was still too early for anyone to be up.  Instead he crawled up into our bed to fall back asleep until he could go outside for a ride.  Slowly but surely the charging began.  First it was his hand on me, then his head on me, then his feet on me.  For every moment that he was in my bed he was connected to me the entire time. 

I am happy to be their charge source for now.  It comes with a great deal of responsibility and reliance on a power source that is more brilliant than any other. 


Blessed be the LORD!
For he has heard the voice of my pleas for mercy.
The LORD is my strength and my shield;
in him my heart trusts, and I am helped;
my heart exults,
and with my song I give thanks to him.

The LORD is the strength of his people;
he is the saving refuge of his anointed.
Oh, save your people and bless your heritage!
Be their shepherd and carry them forever.

- Psalm 28:6-9

No comments: